Bamboo cutlery has become a popular choice for eco-conscious individuals who want to reduce their plastic waste. Unlike plastic cutlery, bamboo cutlery is biodegradable and can be used multiple times with proper care. In this review, I will discuss how to take care of bamboo cutlery so that it lasts longer and stays in good condition.
- Hand wash with mild soap: Bamboo cutlery should be washed by hand using mild soap and warm water. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive sponges as they can damage the bamboo. After washing, rinse the cutlery thoroughly with clean water and dry it with a cloth.
- Avoid soaking: Do not soak bamboo cutlery in water for an extended period as it can cause the bamboo to warp or crack. Instead, wash the cutlery immediately after use and dry it right away.
- Oil it occasionally: To prevent the bamboo from drying out and cracking, it is recommended to oil the cutlery occasionally. Use food-grade mineral oil or coconut oil and apply a thin layer on the bamboo surface. Leave it for a few hours before wiping off the excess oil.
- Store it in a dry place: Store bamboo cutlery in a dry place away from moisture or humidity. Avoid keeping it in direct sunlight or near a heat source as it can cause the bamboo to fade or crack.
- Use it gently: Bamboo cutlery is not as durable as metal or plastic cutlery, so it should be used gently. Avoid using it to cut or stab hard foods, as it can damage the bamboo.
Overall, taking care of bamboo cutlery is simple and easy. With proper care, bamboo cutlery can last for years, making it a sustainable and eco-friendly option for daily use. If you’re looking to reduce your plastic waste and make a positive impact on the environment, bamboo cutlery is a great choice.